Living in Melbourne


Accommodation, whether in a share house or on-campus student lodgings, will almost always be the largest and least negotiable expense for an international student.

In Melbourne, share house rent can range anywhere from $120 to $300 per week. Generally, the cheaper the cost the further away from the city you’ll be, the more people you’ll be living with, or the more rundown the accommodation will be.

There are a number of accommodation options available for students:


For many students who are away from home for the first time, this choice of accommodation provides a good way to learn about the Australian lifestyle and customs while living in a family environment. Homestays approximately cost AUD $235 to AUD $325 per week and include all meals.

Rental Properties

where students can rent a property either alone or shared with other people. Sharing the accommodation costs reduces the cost of renting. You can rent either furnished or unfurnished houses or apartments. Rent varies depending on whether you share or live alone. It can be from $100 to $400 per week. Student Services can advise regarding rental options.

Student Housing Australia

Student Share Accommodation

Short term hostel or hotel accommodation:

This is suitable when students need somewhere to stay on a short term basis while arranging their long terms accommodation needs.

Cost Of Living In Melbourne

The Australian Government specifies AUD $20,290 as the minimum amount required to cover living costs for a 12-month period.
This figure excludes tuition fees or the cost of travel to and from Australia. It is the minimum required to pay accommodation, commute to school or university, buy food, have fun, and pay for all the little extras that you need day-to-day.

From 1st February 2018 the 12 month living cost is:
You – $20,290
Partner or spouse – $7,100
Child – $3,040

For further details please visit:

Are you ready to take the next step toward your future career?

Are you ready to take the next step toward your future career?